Saturday, November 17, 2007

This was the date when the planning started

245 Days to Go
I'm starting this blog from the point when I made the decision to embark on this expedition. It took several weeks of thought and planning before I decided to go. I struggled with many issues. What about the unexpected? There wasn't any way at the time to foresee the complexity of this endeavor. Another problem was that I wasn't going to anounce that I was going and then cancel. If I say I'm going to do it, I will do it. It all started with a guy that came into the store at REI who was walking with a slight limp. He was looking over the road bike as I approached. He told me of his experience as one of the founding members of the California Century Road Bike Club. This club organizes 100 mile road bike endurance rides all over the state. He was 58 years old. Four years early he had some back problems and after two surgery's he can hardly walk. The look on his face was sad. He reminisced about some of he's best days then limped away. I was touched by his story and realised I was 5 years away from that point. Why am I just rotting away without a direction? I need something. Later that afternoon I saw the promotion advertisement in the Planetary Society Magizine. To see the Total Solar Eclipse in Tibet was just what I needed. At the time of this picture I had decided to start planning.
Past Post

No comments: