Saturday, August 16, 2008

Labuche, Nepal 16/08/08 Day 30

Day 30 (slide show)
I was quite worried about my right heel last night, it had gotten quite a bit worse yesterday. I didn't sleep well partly because of the altitude and I keep thinking how bad it would be to spend this much time and money only to let my blister problem stop me. I thought of several ways and I have quite an array of remedies to solve the problem but only one try at it. Remembering some of the conversations I had at REI with Tammy, Nance and Drew I settled for putting a shell over it. I decided to cut a piece of water bottle to the size of my blister so that I could put the duck tape over it. I tried several sizes of plastic. The one that worked the best was just the size of the blister. If the plastic it to large then it can rub in another spot. This was going to be a good day to try it. Today is a 6hr climb with steep terrain. Well see how it works. Just as we were about to leave I found out that there was a marker for the foreign climbers that have died on the mountain. I frantically searched around and found it just in time to grab my pack and get in line. Well it has been a tough day which included a 3 to 4hr climb through the valley river drainage of a giant glacier. The river is named Labusha Khola and I think the glacier is named the same I have to look it up. If you look at the pictures you can get an idea of the immense size of this area. Looking at the pic's we had to hike up the right side where for hours you have to jump from rock to rock or step in 6in of mud. I'm glad I had my trekking poles they saved me several times from falling in. As usual the rain came in at 2pm so the last part of the climb was very wet. As the rain was at its worst we came to the Tukla Pass which was very steep and the toughest part of the climb yet. At the top was the monument area where several dozen, maybe a hundred it was hard to see due to the rain and mist. These monuments were for the fallen climbers whom have died on the mountain. I tried to find the monument for my friend Marty Hoey who I new from when I worked at Snowbird Ski resort in Utah. I couldn't find it but the rain was coming down so hard that I couldn't look at them all. This is the worst rain I've seen yet. I'm sure some of her friends at Snowbird would like to know if the monument was in good shape or not. I will have to look on the way down because its just to foggy and rainy to see much. Damn this is tough. As we approached Gorak Shep we were looking down on a dry sandy area where the glacier had left what might be called a small lake bed with no water just dry light sand. Quite strange. Also on the right I could see a small hill across from the Tea House where we are staying at. It is the view that I've seen so many times. Its the same panoramic view that REI uses to promote its memberships. They have a member standing as I am with the description that its Base Camp of Everest. So I got a picture of myself in about the same spot. The problem is that it isn't Base Camp. I asked our guide how far it is to the actual base camp. He told me about two hours. There are several tea houses in Gorak Shep where many climbers and trekkers decide to cry uncle and call it quits. I meet many. Anyway I'm going to make it tomorrow. After that I don't care about my right heel, I'll limp down if I have to.

No comments: