Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Athens: The Gods are watching out for me Day 47 02/09/08

Day 47

I finally got out of the Fivos Hostel/Hotel. I sure wish the people at Citi Card had done there job right in Kathmandu. I would not have stayed here for the extra three days. This place might be worth 20 Euros but certainly not 40 which is the price I paid. The worst was that last night when I picked up my key I meet some nice folks from Australia and they had got some deal for their room, 35 Euros I think. I’m glad to be gone from here. So I got the Credit card and the Citi people screwed up again. They sent me a temporary card, only good for 30 days. What wrong with these people. Now I have to get on the phone with them again. It cost me about 8 Euros to make the call. I’ve already made six such calls. As my friend Thomas Damon tells me “quite complaining”

I’m going to meet again with Constantinos today and I’m looking forward to that. I want to ask him if he found out anything about the “Original route the Athenians took to the Mountain” It would be nice to find out if it’s true or not. A couple of other problems have come up. I need to figure out what to do with my cold weather gear. My large duffel will be quite impossible to carry to Prague. The other thing is I need a shipping address for Moses at ETC so he can ship my crate to Prague. I have been trying to find someone to help me with this but no luck yet. I have asked everyone who I think might know someone in Prague, one of these nice people was Dora from the other day and she said she might know of a Couch Surfer who might help but I haven’t heard anything yet.

So my meeting with Constantinos turned out to be a phone call but I can’t believe it. He has a climbing friend named Nickolas who is an avid rock climber and they want to go with me. I’m amazed because they just returned from Italy where they climbed in the Dolomites for several days. Now they are going to turn around and climb Olympus. Nickolas has a car and will take us there on Friday the 5th. This is a good piece of luck.

Now I need to find a place to stay for a few days. I was going to leave today and start making my way north. I called my friend Mahe and she was generous enough to let me Couch Surf at her place. This was above and beyond the call because she had just had a surfer from Argentina who just left. She wanted to have a break. Thank you Mahe, I appreciate your kindness. Now I’m set to wait and leave on Friday. If I work it right Mahe tells me I can take the bus to Delphi tomorrow at 6am and spend the day seeing the ruins then return to Athens. I think Mahe will like to have the day by herself; she has a lot to catch up on.

I stopped at the cybercafé and posted some more blogs and checked my mail. Turns out Dora found me a nice CS’er in Prague that might let me use his address if I write him a note. At least I have a few days to work on these problems now.

Sorry, again I have forgotten to take any pictures. I guess I’ve got too much on my mind.

No comments: