Sunday, July 27, 2008

Karimabad, Pakistan 27/07/08 Day 10

Day 10 (Slide show)
We started at about 9am back up to the Hunza Valley. This was to be the farthest south we were to go. I secured the shotgun seat which is the best seat to have. The problem was that several of the other folks were having a tough time and so I offered it to several others. This was misunderstood by some but it worked out and I went back to my spot at the back of the bus. The shocks on it were shot and the thing bounced all over. We stopped for Tea at a beautiful spot to view Mt. Rocoposhi. (7785m) No attempts have been made since 1985 when a group from Japan and Pakistan failed. I didn't hear the details but I guess it's one to climb if you want your name on it. Drove for several more hours on the treacherous road with a few photo stops. One of the stops I happened to notice that the van I had got out of had bald tires in the front. I mean bald. Ended up in Gulmit where there was an cybercafe at the end of the gate so I stopped in to try to download my pic's. Very nice guy there named Abbas. He runs the place as a social worker because the cafe is a charity donation given by the Canadians. They use the profits to help handicapped children and women. The day was slower which was good, I need the rest. I'm catching a cold. Still not having much luck with the pic's. Anyone watching please be patent.

pp

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is the coolest trip ever, Bro. Wish i was there..bald tires and all. Looks like there is no good transportation for guys over 6 ft tall. Hang in there, Steve! Can't wait to see those awesome pics. Totally jealous, Docmike

Anonymous said...

More on Rakaposhi

http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock/173510/rakaposhi.html

Doc Mike

Anonymous said...

hey steve_ I'm here checking up on you bro. It's nice to read that you're having a great time and seen all those great views, take good care of you, eat as many soups to get over that cold soon. I'll keep reading your blog. cool bro see you.

Pipeline Pirate said...

Thanks everyone for the comments. I'm trying to write more but the computers are so slow everywhere I go. More to come.

Anonymous said...

Great posts, Steve. Brings back the memories (some best left unremembered). Looks like I was enjoying the food a little too much, though.